Thursday, August 12, 2010

Benchmark: Raising The Bar

It's no secret that I love the Four Corners Tavern Group. I think they consistently do a great job of producing bars that are fun -- and serve solid bar food. When I first heard that Four Corners was going to be opening a bar in Old Town, one of my all-time favorite Chicago neighborhoods, and that it was going to have a rooftop bar, I pretty much knew it was going to be a home run in my book.

The group decided to call this place Benchmark -- and they hit the nail on the head. Four Corners raised the bar with Benchmark. It truly is the pinnacle of their properties and the standard to which all of their future ventures should be held. The atmosphere and decor within the bar are sleeker and more sophisticated than previous Four Corners establishments, which translate to an aura that's slightly hipper and swankier without being pretentious. Benchmark has somehow managed to take it up a notch while simultaneously managing to stay true to its Four Corners roots.

Although the bar doesn't necessarily look like the rest of its group, the majority of the Benchmark menu is comfortingly familiar.
They've streamlined the standard Four Corners menu a bit, which fits right in with the clean lines of the modern space. But don't worry -- it's nothing too drastic. All of my favorites were there, but they've been supplemented with some new choices that give the menu the same "more upscale, but still down to earth" tone that's found throughout the space itself.

While catching up with some of my fave ladies from the days of U of I water polo, we sampled a mix of old and new menu items. Predictably, we started with an order of the soft pretzels (note: Benchmark offers two choices instead of three -- just the jalapeno cheddar and the original -- and no one really missed the pizza). They were just as wonderful as they are at Schoolyard.

Steph and Laura tried the Chicken Chipotle Gouda sandwich, which is a new menu item. As you may have guessed, it's a chicken sandwich with Chipotle Gouda... and avocado, bacon, lettuce, tomato and some sort of aioli. Both were extremely happy with their choice and supplemented the sandwich with the same famous Four Corners tots we know and love. Gotta love that Benchmark is still slinging tots. This is what I'm talking about -- elevating their game, but staying true to its heritage. Love it.

Mariah decided to try the Asian noodle salad, pictured at left, which everyone raved about... until it was gone. That thing didn't stand a chance. After trying some of the salad, Laura said that she'd be getting it the next time she visits.

Since everyone seemed to be trying new options, I decided to test one of my all-time favorite Four Corners entrees, the Taco Salad (with chicken). It was everything it always is: delicious. I did notice they used some tiny heirloom tomatoes in the salad -- upgrade! But I have to acknowledge that I struggled with my choice of entree (shocking, I know), since I was also very tempted to do the Benchmark burger -- which has more cheese options than its counterparts at other Four Corners bars. (I'm talking Chipotle Gouda and Havarti. I mean, these are important improvements!)

The only downside? When we ordered the famous Four Corners skillet cookie, we discovered that it has two scoops of ice cream instead of three (I am a freak for noticing this -- and knowing how many scoops are involved in the original in the first place) and costs a dollar more. But that's the price you pay for a fabulous retractable roof. And I'm okay with it.

The retractable roof is the true highlight at Benchmark. Bad weather? No problem. The roof stays closed and they can still use the space. Fabulous al fresco weather? They slide that roof open to let the sun shine in until it sets and patrons find themselves dining and drinking under the stars in their own little Old Town oasis.

When the figurative clock strikes twelve and city ordinances mandate that it's time for the outdoor party to end, there's no being hurriedly herded indoors like cattle. The fine people at Benchmark just slide the roof shut and the party goes on uninterrupted. No one likes to have their good time disrupted, so I predict that many people will appreciate this valuable feature. The retractable roof: so hot right now.

While we were there, I was also lucky enough to run into Lauren, one of my favorite (and most in-the-know) friends from high school. She and I were speculating as to how much of a scene Benchmark will become, particularly on the weekends. Located on Wells in Old Town, it could go either way. I definitely don't think it'll become the see-and-be-seen scene that you find at most of the downtown rooftop bars in the city. (The giant TVs everywhere on the first floor help to ground it firmly as a sports bar.) However, I do think it's fairly likely we'll be looking at more of an Old Town Social crowd than a Corcoran's crowd. If Lauren and I get our wish, it'll be a hodgepodge assortment of both -- as that always makes for the best people watching.

Regardless of who else decides to roll in for a night sans roof at Benchmark, I know that I'll be there often: eating, drinking and watching to see how it all plays out.

3 comments:

  1. Just to let you know, there was a long (approximately 40 ft.)line to get into Benchmark at 9:30 p.m. last Saturday. Sad to say, we were already on our way home from dinner at Prosecco on Wells (good, but not great). We had never heard of the place, so were a little surprised to see the line.

    Peg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info, Peg! We actually went before Benchmark officially opened, but I have heard it's been blowing up! Good for them! Can't wait to see what the weekend crowd is like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out the story about Benchmark, written by Carson Krislov for Skyline Newspaper:

    http://www.skylinenewspaper.com/News/02-16-2011/Benchmark_invigorates_Wells_Street_nightlife_in_Chicago

    ReplyDelete