Monday, August 2, 2010

Cafe Orchid

Cafe Orchid, I owe you an apology. I've walked past this Turkish BYO a million times and have thought, "Hmm, Turkish food. I wonder if that place is any good." Due to its somewhat strange location (right at the intersection of Ravenswood, Addison and Lincoln, immediately adjacent to the Ashland-Addison florist) and its relatively cheesy decor, I'd never actually given it a chance.

So when my good friend Mary Eileen's sister Katie selected Cafe Orchid as the dining option of choice to kick off the bachelorette celebration for Mary Eileen, I'll admit that I was a little apprehensive. (I believe their sister Megan said it best: "We're eating dinner in a parking lot?") But Katie knew what she was doing. We were all very pleasantly surprised by both the quality of food, the service and the atmosphere.

To start, we ordered the hummus, the feta plate, the jajik (a sauce made of yogurt, chopped cucumber, garlic, mint, dill and olive oil that's somewhat similar to Indian raita) and the feta wraps (feta cheese wrapped in phyllo dough and pan-fried). The hummus and the jajik paired really well with the bread that was served. This is no pita bread; it's more like some sort of tasty Turkish foccacia. While all of the appetizers were delicious, the feta wraps were the truly outstanding. (I should acknowledge that I also probably ate 3/4 of the feta plate. I really like good feta. And this stuff is the real deal.)

For my entree, I selected the chicken shish kebabs, served with grilled tomato, a spicy green pepper, bulgur (a grain that's kind of like couscous) and a side salad. It was a simple, but well-concepted plate: each element brought something to the table. The perfectly done chicken was especially tasty when paired with some of the jajik that was served alongside it. Unfortunately, I had to pass on the spicy red sauce that was also served on the side out of consideration for the race I was running the next morning. (I also ordered a bit more conservatively due to the timing of this little Turkish exploration.) Next time, I'm trying all of the spice. But at least now we know there are tasty options even for those who prefer their food a bit blander.

Our table also tried the beef kebabs and the vegetable stew. The vegetable stew was well-seasoned and delicious. I didn't try the beef kebabs, but they came highly recommended by two Cunniff sisters -- both of whom have excellent taste.

Between the six of us, we enjoyed about five bottles of wine with dinner -- no corkage fee! The staff didn't bat an eye or act annoyed that we lingered over a glass or two even after they'd cleared our plates; they just kept smiling and opening new bottles for us.

The atmosphere was interesting. If you're looking for a scene, look elsewhere. But if you're looking for a BYO with an outdoor dining option and some great food, you're in luck.

Overall, the space is warm and inviting despite its urban setting. We sat at an outdoor table underneath a little tent, which was illuminated by tiny lights. It was a little kitschy, but it was fun. Things got very lively when the men behind us started a traditional Turkish chant/song of some sort that overtook some of our dinner conversation completely and was a little less fun when it lasted a good fifteen minutes. But hey, that's the price you pay for authenticity, right?

The atmosphere isn't flawless (random Turkish chant, the occasional motorcycle zooming down Addison), but it is definitely enjoyable.

I mean, it made a convert out of me. I'll definitely be back.

* Sorry that there aren't any pictures in this entry. I wanted to make sure that dinner was a celebration focused on Mary Eileen and not a photo shoot for my online food ramblings. If you're dying to see this place, hop on your motorcycle and whizz past. But I'd recommend stopping in and giving the food a try while you're at it.

5 comments:

  1. Had my first Cafe Orchid experience earlier this summer and loved it, Nance. Glad to see you agree. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not surprised by the review one bit, I love this place! Although, I am surprised that you did not have (or you didn't mention) a certain waiter named Serhat (or as he has come to be affectionately known - Sir Hott)...he seems to pick the tables of ladies and then turn into a one man show-it always adds a little something extra to Cafe Orchid. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bahaha, how could we have missed Sir Hott? We had a female server, but now that I think about it we did encounter a very friendly jokester en route to the bathroom... I think I may know just who you're talking about! Thanks for the comments, ladies! Let's go again sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you wrote this. I must have passed this place a thousand times and just wrote it off due to the location and "look." Now I will have to check it out! Thanks Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my faves. I've only dined inside... which does not lose the kitschy. The free parking lot also makes this a great spot when the parents come to visit.

    ReplyDelete