Thursday, July 15, 2010

Chilam Balam: Rookie of the Year?

As soon as I heard about Lakeview's new Mexican BYOB Chilam Balam earlier this year, I was busting out emails left and right to assemble my foodie posse and give this place a try. A super young chef who cut his teeth at both Frontera and Adobo -- and whose philosophy stresses the importance of using seasonal, local ingredients and sustainability? I smelled the potential for greatness.

Chilam Balam delivered in every sense of the word. Some friends and I went shortly after it opened and I am obsessed with it. Warning ahead of time: the space is small and it is still drawing huge crowds. This means that there is always a wait and the restaurant gets loud. Don't bring Grandpa.

It's a new season since I dined there, so the menu may be different now -- but don't worry, the high quality local, seasonal ingredients are what really drive the greatness behind the dishes. And I'm confident that's still the case.

Nonetheless, when we went...
Three of us ordered six small plates and I got an order of the soup, which was corn with cream topped with Shitake mushrooms.
The soup was honestly some of the most delicious soup I've ever had. Every single small plate was impressive: the halibut ceviche, the memelas, the flautas, the two salads (one greens with poblano dressing, the other heirloom tomato) and the empanadas. The balance the chef executed within each of the dishes was probably the most impressive part of the meal -- and he did it again and again.

For dessert, we ordered the chocolate chili mousse with a spiced goat cheese center and empanadas filled with peanut butter and served with black mission fig and chocolate sauces. The empanadas were the shining star -- completely outstanding -- but the chocolate chili mousse was tasty as well.

Just thinking about the empanadas makes me realize I need to get back there ASAP!
A foodie friend I went with says she literally dreams about them sometimes.

I'd highly recommend Chilam Balam: a restaurant on a mission to preserve the planet with delicious food for reasonable prices.

To learn more about Chilam Balam, visit their website:

http://www.chilambalamchicago.com/

2 comments:

  1. Just tried last night amazing definitely recommend the Carmel apple tres leches dessert

    ReplyDelete