Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Mediterranean Grill: BYOB(omb)

I had planned on eating at Tank Sushi in Lincoln Square tonight, but unfortunately, I didn't make a reservation and the foodie gods were not on my side. Upon entering at 7:00 p.m., we were told that they were completely full until their last seating at 11 p.m. Note to all: make reservations if you want to dine at Tank.

Fortunately, one of my absolute favorite BYOB restaurants is located nearby -- just steps away from my favorite wine shop in the city. We made a beeline for Fine Wine Brokers and the owner helped us pick out a fabulous bottle of Barbera to go along with our upcoming meal at Mediterranean Grill. (He also made some menu recommendations. Love him.)

Mediterranean Grill doesn't look like much from the outside, but I love me some Mediterranean food and it has gotten great reviews on Yelp. Yelp didn't lie -- this place is the bomb.

Tonight, we got the Mediterranean salad, the chickpea salad, the hummus, an order of falafel, a lamb schwarma sandwich and a BBQ chicken schwarma sandwich. That sounds like a lot of food for two people -- but it was perfect because I loved every single thing we ordered. And the total was a whopping $29 for all of it!

Everything was wonderful, but the highlight of my meal was the new entry on the table -- the BBQ chicken schwarma sandwich, which comes in a pita. I'm not sure what else is in that pita, but it is delicious. The BBQ sauce -- as well as the chicken -- is out of this world on its own, but it's accompanied by a super savory side sauce with just the right amount of heat to add entirely new levels of complexity to the dish. I ate the entire thing and I'll admit that I was completely stuffed after the first half of this sucker. Way too good to waste.

Mediterranean Grill really is one of the best BYOs this city has to offer. Highly, highly recommended.

2 comments:

  1. My aunts & grandma went here last week and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I love to see this place getting business -- it's so good and the people are always so nice!

    ReplyDelete