Tuesday, July 6, 2010

My Foodie Bucket List

I've been to a lot of restaurants in Chicago -- and a lot of them have been amazing. But since Chicago's a big food town, chock full of talent and with a little bit of a second city chip on its big shoulders, it's always pushing forward and demanding more from itself. Consequently, more amazing new places pop up every week, which -- combined with the sad fact that I'm not independently wealthy -- can make it pretty challenging to conquer all.

To help me stay focused on finding the best of the best I haven't tried, I like to keep a little running list... which I'm sure is not shocking to those of you who know (and love?) me -- and my propensity for lists.

But this list will also give you an idea of some of the things and places you can expect to see on the site as I continue on my culinary journey -- a.k.a. food crawl my way across the city:
  • Alinea
  • Spiaggia
  • Lula Cafe
  • Nightwood
  • The Purple Pig
  • The Publican
  • NoMi
  • mk
  • Japonais
  • Atwood Cafe
  • Cafe de Architectes
  • Cibo Matto
  • Decca
  • Balsan
  • Ria
  • Macku
  • Cumin
  • Thalia Spice
  • Branch 27 (need to get back following big changes in staffing)
  • Arun's
  • Katsu
  • Kuma's Corner
  • Hot Doug's
  • Franks n Dawgs
  • Takashi
  • Duchamp
  • The Bristol
  • Chikurin
  • Urban Belly
  • Belly Shack
  • epic
  • graham elliot
  • Great Lakes Pizza
  • Coalfire
  • Tank
  • Mado
  • Irazu
  • Sapori Trattoria
  • Boka
  • Schwa
  • Sprout
  • Il Mulino
  • Bite
  • Cafe Orchid
  • Los Nopales
  • Opera
  • Mana Food Bar
  • Tiffin
  • Grahamwich
  • Ruxbin Kitchen
  • L20
  • Le Colonial
  • Mercat a la Planxa
  • Turquoise
  • Eve
  • Feed
  • Filter
  • Moto
  • (k)new
  • one. six one
Please let me know if there's anything that I might have missed and should consider for future posts! (And thanks for the great suggestions so far! Keep 'em coming!)

10 comments:

  1. Loving this blog! Schwa is at the top of my list currently. Alinea is #2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! I tried to get a res at Schwa for over a month and then was like, ok, fine, I will go someplace that answers their phone and try again later. If you haven't been, you should definitely try bonsoiree -- similar concept to Schwa and also BYOB -- fabulous, fabulous, fabulous.

    Of note, I am hellbent on Alinea. Did you see the app featured on last night's "Best Thing I Ever Ate"? I have to try hot potato/cold potato!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kuma's and Urban Belly are great. You will enjoy.

    Here are some of my favorites you can add:

    -Bite... a hipster haven
    -Sultan's Market (Bucktown)... Great Turkish on the cheap
    -Cafe Orchid... more Turkish
    -Los Nopales... Mexican (try the cactus)
    -Friendship... my favorite Chinese in Chicago
    -Opera
    -Mana Food Bar... tapas style vegetarian restaurant (a little pricey)
    -Tiffin... Indian restaurant up on Devon (hard to go wrong with any Indian on Devon really)

    Damn... why am I writing about this well before lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chad, thanks so much for the additions!

    Love Sultan's Market and Friendship, you are so right on about those two! I'm going to be writing some entries on my favorite restos in the city by genre in the near future and these two will for sure make the list!

    Can't wait to try the rest on the list... Have been meaning to get to Cafe Orchid, Mana Food Bar, Opera and Los Nopales for a while now.

    Thanks for filling me in on Tiffin and Bite, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nanc- you gotta do brunch at Eve... with me! Awesome food, LAMB=HEAVEN! Let's do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You MUST add Mercat a la Planxa to the list! They have a fantastic Sunday brunch for $25 - 4 tapas and unlimited bloody marys, mimosas and sangria. The shrimp n' grits with pot roast is fantastic as well as the bacon wrapped dates oh and the chorizo hash oh my! Dinner is fantastic too, prix fix menu is definitely the way to go - way too many decisions!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't believe I forgot to include brunch at Turquoise (Roscoe Village). It's only on Sundays, and it is a bit of a secret (no waits!). I dare not spoil any surprises by describing the meal. Just go some time.

    I am also fond of Feed in Humboldt Park for either brunch or dinner. It's full of southern comfort goodness and has a nice quiet patio.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe you haven't experienced Big Star yet! I'm there most weekends so whenever you want to go, holler!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You guys, amazing recos! Adding all to the list!

    Court, I know -- it's a tragedy about Big Star. I have GOT to get there! Shoot me a text next time you're going and let's do this! (I have high hopes for tomorrow night since I'm heading to Happy Village... any interest?)

    ReplyDelete